I’m still working on my dress, but am so happy to say the bodice is done. That herringbone stitch to keep the lining in place was pretty time-consuming, though, so I think I’ll investigate one-piece bodice interfacing/linings in future. Is the bodice perfect? Nope! The armholes definitely could be better; they are a bit on the small side and I have allowed some puckering to happen. 😦
Also, I have realised that part of my fitting issues may be to do with the fact that the bottom of the bodice *ahem* isn’t entirely straight.
I know this is a pretty major thing to miss, so I don’t know how I did it! One thing I will definitely need to invest in if I want to continue sewing is something large with a grid on it so I can make sure I’m doing all my cutting with right angles when I need them. Can anyone recommend something?
The only thing now left to do is insert the zip. I will be fitting the zip after the bodice is attached to the skirt. Frankly, I am petrified about putting in a zipper, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Sorry there are no pictures of me wearing it at this stage, but because it sits at my natural waist there would be a bit of midriff on show, and I know no one wants to see that.
On to the skirt, which is basically just a large panel gathered to the waist size. Easy, right? Maybe, but there’s a lot of fabric! The pattern calls for 3 yards, plus a lining. I didn’t have that much, so my panel is 2.2m (2.4 yds). Thank goodness, because I have to say I find gathering really tedious. But it does look quite lovely when it’s done, so I guess it’s worth it.
Easily the hardest part of gathering, though, was keeping the gathers in place. They kept sliding around even after I sewed through them the first time. Next time, on general advice, I will do two rounds of basting. But once I joined the bodice to the skirt (!!!), it looked okay, even if it wasn’t quite as evenly gathered as I would’ve liked.
Right, that’s it! Next time I will be writing about the finishing of the dress. Hooray!