It’s the end of April and I still haven’t completed even one item toward my vintage pledge. That definitely counts as a fail, right? I knew I should have counted that 60s dress I finished in January towards it!
I think my downfall is that I just love big projects for some reason. Don’t get me wrong, I love instant gratification, too, but maybe I get that from my baking? For whatever reason, I am just drawn toward intricate/large projects for knitting and sewing. Skirts are great, but nearly all the vintage patterns I own are dresses that are fitted on the top. That said, I should have expected that sewing 3 items using vintage patterns or fabric, plus knitting 2 vintage patterns, would take a lot of planning. But at the same time, I didn’t want to put myself under too much pressure by creating a rigid plan for the year. That’s when I start to stress and make mistakes, and I don’t want to associate sewing with stress or I’ll never carry on with it.
Anyway, I have been trying to work on Simplicity 5728. I might be nearly done if I didn’t need to make alterations. This weekend I ventured into the brave new world of pattern drafting! I’d done a muslin of the bodice and tried it on, as I was worried the dress would be too low cut for me. Indeed it was. My drafted pattern got rid of the collar and raised the V-neck a bit. The next step is adjusting for my sway back.
Also, another next step is figuring out how to sew a point. As you can see, I really haven’t managed it yet!