If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll know I’ve been knitting a very squishy and very pretty sweater with the aim of having it ready for some professional pictures that we’re having taken ahead of Mabel’s first birthday.
They were taken a couple of weeks ago and the sweater was…kind of done? After staying up until 1 a.m. knitting and distracting Mabel with Strictly Come Dancing in the morning, I just got it into a wearable state 30 minutes before the photographer arrived & sewed on a button while she set up. A victory of sorts, though annoyingly she only just fit into it and taking it off was a challenge. Oops. Also, the neckline just didn’t work, possibly because I was literally knitting fast and loose. Suffice it to say yesterday was not my best day. There may or may not have also been tears of mum guilt in the afternoon for prioritizing knitting over, well, everything.
She did look very cute, though, so I am going to persevere with trying to correct/modify it. Blocking it post-photo session made a massive difference, though the neckline is still a mess. I think I may try to block it again as well; it still looks a little short to me.
I am unsure what to do about the neckline. Starting over might be best. It was definitely the hardest part to knit, but somehow it hasn’t turned out to be the right shape. It is the cable pattern, just knitted on larger needles sideways using short rows. The stitches kept slipping off, partly due to my speed which made my tension go off kilter and partly due to extremely slippery needles.
Faults aside, it is quite a pretty sweater and I’m glad I made it!