Hello, everyone! It’s nice to be back on the blog, though I’m not sure how often I’ll be able to update it in the next few months. I won’t apologise – looking after a newborn apparently means having your hands literally full most of the time! And when they’re not, there’s a choice between sleeping, eating, and doing stuff (including writing blog posts). In the interest of my sanity, I nearly always choose sleeping, though it does mean the house is a state and that I am neglecting my blog & crafting. I’m sure I’ll learn to balance things eventually.
I did want to write up the baby blanket I made for Mabel nonetheless. It was my first attempt at knitting from scratch rather than using a pattern, so it was particularly challenging. In the end I wasn’t entirely happy with it, but I’ve been told it’s the thought that counts. 🙂
The yarn in the center of the blanket inspired the whole thing. I bought it at Unravelled in Farnham several years ago with the intention of making a shawl. However, the more I looked at it the more I became convinced it would make a beautiful baby blanket, so I’ve been saving it. According to the label, the wool by Little Owl Crafts is:
Organic Devon Wensleydale
Hand dyed and handspun in Devon
Colorway: Dawn Chorus
There were 120g and 220 meters, which meant making anything would be a real challenge. Making a central block and working my way out seemed the most sensible plan.
After looking through Barbara Walker’s Treasury of Knitting Patterns, I settled on Indian Cross Stitch. I wanted to maximize the size of the blanket by using lace, but because parts of the yarn are quite chunky, a traditional lace pattern didn’t look right. This stitch seemed like just the right compromise, and I’m glad I picked it.
Then there was the border, knitted in a mystery undyed yarn (merino?) I bought at Wonderwool Wales back in April. It took 2 skeins. I spent ages looking up how to do mitered corners. But as you can see, I didn’t end up doing them (which is the main reason I’m disappointed with the blanket). I didn’t know how many rows I would need and instead of sensibly swatching I kind of gave up and opted to pick up stitches all around instead, which means it isn’t really a rectangle.
I added a few inches of seed stitch to add some size, then used a Victorian edging pattern to finish it off. Unfortunately I can’t remember/find the one I used, but it is similar to a lot of the ones found on this website. Funnily enough, I had already added the three rows of eyelets, so this pattern was a natural fit.
Overall, I think the blanket is quite pretty, even if I’m not thrilled with it. I suppose the moral here is to always do a trial run! I haven’t decided yet whether I want to have another attempt at it & write up a proper pattern (something I’ve never done, but that might be a nice challenge).